Hiring: Staff Attorney – Migrant Farm Worker Division (MFWD)
Location: Denver, CO
Classification: Non-Exempt (Full-time)
Reports To: Managing Attorney, MFWD
Salary Range: $66,422 – $108,011 (commensurate with experience)
Colorado Legal Services (CLS) is Colorado’s statewide nonprofit legal aid program, with thirteen offices providing civil legal assistance to low-income Coloradans throughout the state. CLS provides free legal assistance in a broad variety of legal areas including family law, eviction defense, consumer protection, services to survivors of serious crime and human trafficking, and many others.
CLS has strengthened lives, assisted families, and supported communities — one person at a time for over 90 years. We are committed to providing high-quality, free legal advice and representation to eligible individuals throughout Colorado. We have a long history of successful high impact and advocacy. CLS strives to bring about substantive, transformational change in the lives of those we serve.
The Migrant Farm Worker Division is a specialized statewide program of CLS that litigates cases in federal and state courts and provides administrative advocacy for low-wage farm workers across Colorado on a wide range of employment-related problems such as unpaid wages, sexual harassment, human trafficking, immigration, and civil rights violations. Due to the barriers that have historically interfered with farm workers’ access to legal services, the MFWD employs a robust outreach and community education program, engaging directly with farm workers and community-based organizations that serve farm workers throughout Colorado.
The Staff Attorney works in collaboration with the rest of the MFWD team to serve the legal needs of low-wage seasonal and migrant farm workers throughout Colorado and to implement advocacy strategies that have a broad impact and achieve long term change for our client communities. While primarily focused on employment law, the MFWD sets priorities according to client need. The Staff Attorney will handle a full caseload and will conduct client counseling and representation, outreach and education, public education and collaboration with legal and community partners.
• Provide professional and high-quality direct legal services to eligible migrant and seasonal farm workersfocused on resolution of complex civil legal issues related to their employment, in federal and state court aswell as administrative proceedings.
• Maintain a manageable client caseload proportionate to other responsibilities.
• Engage in federal and state litigation, and administrative advocacy on behalf of MFWD clients.
• Conduct outreach to farm workers at labor camps and engage in additional outreach efforts to reach farmworkers directly.
• Conduct community outreach, cultivate and manage community-based relationships in collaboration withpartner agencies and organizations that refer clients to CLS MFWD.
• Work with trusted community partners and other advocates committed to combatting poverty and injustice.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Graduate of an accredited law school.
• Licensed to practice in the State of Colorado or qualify for admission to the Colorado Bar by motion.
• Excellent communication, writing, organization and research skills.
• Fluent in written and oral Spanish and English.
• Reside in the State of Colorado (or willing to relocate to Colorado as a condition of employment), have avalid driver’s license, and have access to a reliable vehicle for travel across the state.
• Ability to work independently but also as a team player.
• Willingness to work irregular hours on occasion to meet the needs of clients.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice, as well as a desire to disrupt existing systems of oppression.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; manage a litigation caseload and meet deadlines; anddemonstrate sensitivity to the legal needs of low-income individuals, seniors, individuals with disabilities,People of Color, and individuals with no or limited English proficiency.
• Experience in employment law.
• Demonstrated litigation skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to workers’ rights, and Microsoft Office Suite Proficiency.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
CLS offers a generous benefits plan that includes 100% employer paid health insurance, Vision Service Plan – vision insurance, and Delta Dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Dependent Care and Medical Flexible spending accounts, and 403(b) retirement account. Additionally, CLS offers a $350.00 monthly stipend (to be used as you choose), generous paid time off and 12.5 paid holidays per year. CLS values its employees’ commitment to working hard work for the populations we serve and recognize the importance of work/life balance; therefore, as consistent with needs of the program, we offer flexible work schedules, hybrid work arrangements, promote and foster a diverse, inclusive, equitable and psychologically safe work environment, striving to be a “Best Place to Work” in Colorado.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a copy of your resume, cover letter and writing sample to [email protected]. Please type“MFWD Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Submission deadline: January 31, 2024.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DEIB:
CLS embraces diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as an Equal Opportunity Employer in a serious way. We are committed to building a workforce that respects and seeks to empower each individual and represents a variety of diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply for this position.