Based in Denver, CLS’ Migrant Farm Worker Division (MFWD) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income agricultural workers throughout Colorado. Cases typically concern employment law, ranging from litigation regarding wages and working conditions to immigration applications. In addition to assisting attorneys with casework, the paralegal participates in MFWD’s robust outreach and community education programming, meeting with workers and service providers to share information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist attorneys in case management and support:
- Serve as the initial point of contact for applicants, taking calls, screening cases, completing intakes, providing referrals, and opening cases;
- Manage calls, mail, and other correspondence;
- Implement/maintain filing systems, file documents, ensure case data is tracked;
- Complete legal research; and
- Draft documents for attorney review;
- Maintain client communications throughout the lifespan of their case, conducting interviews and fact investigation, gathering documents, and providing technical assistance as necessary (ex. educating client on preserving electronic evidence or participating in video conferences);
- Demonstrate cultural responsiveness in all interactions;
- Work with MFWD team to develop and implement effective outreach and education strategies for both workers and service providers;
- Occasional travel throughout the state as required for outreach or client meetings (must have access to/provide your own transportation); and
- Be available for occasional weekend and evening work, as required.
Must be fluent in Spanish and English. Requires excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to independently manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Experience working with agricultural workers or other low-income workers, experience in immigration and/or employment law, and Microsoft Office proficiency strongly preferred.
Details at a Glance
- Full Time Position
$32,800 – $57,000 based on experience
CLS offers generous insurance benefits, paid vacation time and sick leave, and professional development opportunities.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in both English and Spanish
TEMPORARILY REMOTE. Work must be performed in or near Denver, CO
Denver, CO, USA
How to Apply
Email your cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
Please title documents “Lastname DocumentTitle” (ex. Jones Resume) and include “MFWD Paralegal” in the subject line.
The cover letter should include the reasons for your interest in this position and well as any relevant experience working with low-income or other vulnerable populations. We invite all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.